Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Just moments after feeling the weight of my frustration of life shining through in my children's behavior, i.e. "When Mom isn't happy, ain't nobody happy!", I realized it was once again time to flip that frown upside down! At the time I was doing Halen's hair and I thought we should sing a song. Singing always makes me happy! Always! Then seeing Brigden in the room I recognized if we sang his favorite song we could for sure get a group effort in participation. I asked them both to sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" with me and explained that it would help us to turn our frowns upside down and help us to be happy. Brigden was shy and timid at first, but Halen being the typical good sport, jumped right in. As we started singing I felt so much better, but then a great surprise came; harmony. I love harmony. I think I love it so much because I am an alto and I just love hearing the harmony and melody work together and knowing I can be a part of that great combination of sounds. At this time I didn't even know that anyone had ever written a harmony part for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but aparantly it didn't matter because there was now one being sung.
When Halen was as young as 6 months old she would sing as we traveled in the car. I thought it was odd and asked my mom once if that was normal for such a young baby. She told me it was definitely possible, but most likely that Halen was a singer at heart. I found this to be very true as I've had more children and none of them have shown any of the desire to sing that she has. She loves to sing and loves to harmonize.
As I listened to her specifically pick out notes to harmonize in the song as we sang, it brought so much joy to my heart! I was smiling, I was happy and she is talented! I'm sure there are plenty of 7 year olds out there that can do what she does, but just hearing her pick out her own harmony and find the joy in doing so, and doing it right (not just thinking she's doing it right) was wonderful! It made the switch I needed in my attitude!
We sang the song another 5 times, just enjoying singing together and listening to the harmony and melody and both loved every minute of it! What fun! Happy Day!

No comments: