Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I've alive and well

I had an interesting experience this morning as I began a conversation with a stranger and ended it with a friend. This gentlemen and I spent a few moments discussing our shared current struggle of unemployment in this slow economy. One of the neatest parts of the conversation was our shared love of God regardless and because of our situations. He shared how his 5 children had struggled through the summer given there were no funds for anything extracurricular. He also shared how scary it was to not know how to make ends meet, but how grateful he was that at least he had a roof over his head and food on his table. We both shared how we had individually come to the conclusion of the importance of waking up each day with a smile and faith. At the end of the conversation and after discussing of the burn of the refiner's fire during great trials like this, my heart was very warm and I was humbled at what a wonderful person and spirit this gentleman was. We both wished each other well and went out separate ways.
When I got in my car the radio automatically came on and this was the song...."I'm alive" w/ Kenny Chesney and The Dave Mathews Band.
It was so perfectly timed and I enjoyed every minute of it as I dwelled on my gratitude for my life, my family, the fulfillment of my basic needs, and the gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm so grateful for my membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and for the great organization that it is. And lastly, I'm so grateful for trials which humble me more and more and more and more and more....

No comments: