Thursday, September 3, 2009

Halen's First Day of 2nd Grade

Halen on her first day of 2nd grade. Ummmm. Are you kidding me? She is supposed to be almost 7, but seriously after I looked at this picture when I took it I wanted to cry because I can already see myself taking the picture of her on her first day of junior high or high school. I know I shouldn't say these things, but I'm going to. She is beautiful. I'm shocked at her beauty. I wish I had had such beauty as a young girl. I say this not to beg for compliments or pity, but merely to state the facts. I was so much more awkward looking and I'm already worried about the boys with this girl. I've got to keep her humble! Wish me luck!


Not only is she beautiful in my eyes, but she is a pure gem. She is such a helper and sensitive person. I am so blessed to have her as my daughter, the oldest, and my friend. I just adore her.
She was so nervous to go back to school, as always with Halen, because she wanted to make sure she would have friends and like her classmates and her teacher. This is just her nature. She struggles with fear, fear of everything! It took at least a week for her, after many discussions, to remember that this is how she feels every year and somehow it always works out after the first few days of school.

Of course, after the first day the fear was no longer present and she was back to normal, wanting to play with friends and excited for the next day. I love to hear her stories of who she played with at recess and get the goods from the after school chat we share each day. I remember doing the same thing with my mother and now hold those few moments as so precious. I always try to ask her questions that will stimulate great answers instead of yes and no so I can get the real stories from the long day away from me. She is always so great to share and we have such a special bond. I am so blessed. Even after the first day of school she came home and gave me a great big hug because she had missed me so much. It was a long first day without Halen at home and I missed her just as much.

She is making new friends as well as enjoying the same old best friends and things are working out real well for her so far this year. She, too, is loving having Harris to play with at recess and in the same hallway. They are such great friends at times. What a blessing! I loved being able to have my brothers with me at school. It was like having a little piece of home away from home with me at all times.

She is such a great student and very responsible. She sometimes struggles with doing all of her homework because the desire to play with friends after school is so great, but what child doesn't? We love our Halen!

No comments: