Thursday, September 3, 2009

Harris First Day of Kindergarten


Wow. How quick the time flies by and how grown up out little boy has become.
Harris(5) has been so excited to get to go to Halen's school and on Halen's bus this entire last summer he could barely believe the day was here. It was really frustrating because he was able to go see his classroom the first day of school, but then because of assessment appointments he wasn't actually able to attend school until a week later. It was a very long week. He was thrilled to find out that his classroom is right across the hallway from Halen and that they get to share the same last recess of the day.
Harris has grown a lot in the last few months. I wondered if he would be ready for Kindergarten and be able to listen to his teacher, but according to reports from other mothers as well as his preschool teacher, Harris is a very responsible obedient child. I don't always get to see this side of him at home, but it makes me happy to know that he has such a side and is showing it to others, and especially his leaders, educational and religious.
I've been very impressed with how much he really does educationally know because he doesn't always seem to show an interest. It's strange how he just seems to have a knack for remembering things even though he doesn't act like he would nor does he put in the time to reep the rewards. He reminds me of his father who is just smart by birth and can get away with not doing homework because he can remember things without it.
After his first few days, I asked him to make a goal of making new friends and each day he would come home and report on his progress. One day he said, "Mom, I made a new friend and we played at recess, but I forgot to ask him his name. I'll ask him tomorrow." Then the next day he said, "Mom, I made another new friend, but forgot to ask him his name too. I'll ask him tomorrow." Aparantly, names are unimportant, but who cares when you can play together right?
We're so proud of him and his growth lately! He is really blossoming and is ready to go. He did great on his assessment. He is a sweetheart and a hard worker and will do very well at school!

No comments: