Friday, August 29, 2008

Will it make you strong?

Each time we sit down to have a meal together as a family, I am bombarded with "I don't want that, that, or that" from Harris. He is extremely picky and it has been very difficult to get him to eat even the plainest of things, like carrots, potatoes, or even corn. Well, with time I knew I had to figure out a way to convince him to at least try these foods and after many failed attempts, we finally came up with a winner; "This will make you strong."
We found Harris' motivation. He loves sports, especially football, and if I can somehow relate his food to football or another sport, then he's miraculously game and his attitude turns 180 degrees. Just today for lunch we were having quesadillas, carrots, and oranges. He refused to eat the carrots until I explained that carrots will make your eyes really strong so you can see the football from really far away. No lie, he listened, and within seconds said, "Ok!" and ate all his carrots and then asked for more. After eating his carrots, he then pointed to his quesadilla and said, "But this won't make you strong, will it?" I replied, "Yes, the cheese inside will make your bones strong so you can kick hard and the tortilla will fill your tummy up so it won't hurt while your playing." He again then shifted gears and ate all of it. He even turned to Brigden and told him he wouldn't be strong because he hadn't finished his oranges yet.
Hmm? Is this logical or emotional? What a joke, so now each meal my mind starts turning before he even sits down asking myself, why is this meal good for Harris and how will it make him strong? I need a course in nutrition for I fear I might be running out of good sports related explanations soon. Well, at least for today, lunch is over and eaten.

4 comments:

John-n-Mel said...

Wow I'm very impressed with both you and Harris. You for finding a great solution and Harris for understanding...if that makes any sense! Wonder what I can tell McKenna her food will make her better at...

Melinda said...

That's a great idea. I wonder if Heaven Father would tell us the same thing about the things we don't want to "eat." "It will make you strong." So then we can sigh and eat it. :-)

Your dad is in my ward! He and Tamara spoke in church yesterday.(Along with my Sarah--her first talk!) They were wonderful talks. I didn't get a chance to introduce myself to your dad because I had to run off to Nursery. Good stuff though!

Andrea W. said...

Woo hoo, way to go Harris! I love that you have to call it 4 yr. old preschool, that cracks me up. He's so cute, that smile is worth a million bucks.

Andrea W. said...

oops, I meant to leave that first comment on the preschool one.

Oh well, now I'll to my actual comment for this post. I love it when I happen upon those magical easy fixes. Yay for you for being so creative and persistent and finding those magical words!