Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Oh My Mozarella!

So lately as I've been trying new recipes that won't break the budget and I thought it might be fun to try to make homemade pizza. My mom made it every Friday when I was a kid and we loved it so I figured since I love restaurant pizza so much, I could at least try the homemade stuff and see if I could do it or if it would be worth it. Well, luckily I have a breadmaker that had a recipe so I just threw the 5 ingredients in, pushed a button, and then 1.5 hours later I had fresh pizza dough and 20 minutes later after adding toppings, each to our individual desires, we had some great pizza.
Now, I won't say that it was gourmet, but it was actually really good. What surprised me is that it only cost me a few bucks a pizza, literally, I did the math because I wanted to make sure that my work would be worth the effort and savings. It was. A really large pizza only cost me like $2.50 Crazy!!! Anyway, my second greatest discovery in the process was Mozarella Cheese! As strange as it sounds, I have never just had a bite of a chunk of Mozarella cheese. Now, I've had string cheese, and cheese cubes and whatnot, but not a chunk of a soft moist block of Mozarella purchased at the store. After I shredded the cheese for the pizza, I took a bite and without realizing it I was immediately transformed to some peaceful tropical beach with the warm sun blazing on me as the rushing waves serenaded my relaxing moment chewing cheese! I know...I know, get a grip! Crazy, eh? But hey, I think I've found my latest food craze...a bite of Mozarella Cheese! Wow Baby!

8 comments:

Andrea W. said...

You crack me up, I'm so glad that a little mozerella did all that for you! I LOVE mozerella too, it's even better on a loaf of french bread. :)

John-n-Mel said...

I'm with Andrea all you need now is some fresh french bread! We too do the homemade pizza...well on Pillsbury but I'm working up to making my own dough, just need the breadmaker. :)

Michelle said...

Seriously...it's taken you this long? Hilarious. I like the idea of Friday pizza night. I make homemade pizza all the time. I like doing it from scratch though without the breadmaker. I know, I'm weird.

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe and Dawn said...

Hey Mandolin!!!I just recently discovered you had a blog and am happy be able to now see your family more often! We all know you're a great cook so the question is if your willing to give us any hints as to the ingredients in your fabulous pizza?

Joell said...

$2.50 That is impressive! I am a little bit a a cheese lover myself! mmmmm mozerella!

Anonymous said...

It seems you are making progress on your " I wish I were a really skilled cook, but am not." desire that you posted in the 101 things about you post a while back.

Isn't if great when small things (like Mozzarella cheese) bring you such great happiness. I think it's funny, when people say things like "enjoy the small things" etc.
because, at least in my experience, life is, oh,say, exactly 98.2734% small things, so if you haven't learned to enjoy, and maybe even more important, learned to be comfortable enjoying the small stuff, your probably not going to enjoy life very much. So good for you. Go enjoy some mozzarella!!!

Kim said...

Seriously, I am happy for your mozerella finding...but it almost made me hurl reading about it. I hate cheese...in almost all forms except melted on pizza. So, your wonderful description had the opposite effect on me! I thought you would get a good laugh out of that.
Good job on the pizza though. I will have to try..my mom always made homemade pizza also and we loved it!