Sunday, August 3, 2008

Halen looses 2 teeth

In June, Halen lost her first tooth. It became loose very quickly, but painfully loose at dinner time. She wanted it out because she couldn’t eat without crying, so I called my brother Corbin and asked him how he pulled his daughter’s tooth out. Here were my tools. What do you think I did?

We used the floss to tie around the bottom of the tooth and then wound the floss around the hammer so I had something to hold onto as I quickly yanked the tooth out of her gums. We counted to three and then it was over. She was so scared, but barely even felt it happen it happened so quickly. The only problem was that it flew across the room and we had to go searching for it. We did find it though. That evening she placed it under her pillow awaiting her prize from the tooth fairy. It was so unexpected and late in the day, that all the tooth fairy had for her was a $5 bill and was too lazy to leave for the store to change it into single bills. The tooth fairy did tell me she hoped Halen wouldn’t recognize the difference between a $5 and a $1 because she didn’t deal with money very often. The tooth fairy gave her the money and then gave the tooth to Halen’s mother to keep.



A few days later, Halen lost her second tooth using the same surgical procedure, but this time, the tooth was lost! We couldn’t find it anywhere, but then I realized I could replace the lost tooth with the first saved tooth and then sent Halen to look in a certain corner of the room for the placed tooth. Halen did so and retrieved it and then later the next morning couldn’t find the prize from the tooth fairy. Well, that was probably because the tooth fairy forgot! As I realized what had happened as she came out of her room that morning I told her we should go back and look again. I picked up the pillow and slyly handed her the pillow with a pillow case and told her to look in the pillow case because the prize might have slipped in the pillow case. It had, this time the tooth fairy was prepared with a few dollar bills. Wow. That was a close one. Thank heavens we get a break from the tooth fairy for a bit because we are obviously not very good at it, but becoming better and better at saving close calls.

1 comment:

Andrea W. said...

Congrats, Halen on losing teeth! This tooth fairy business is a big deal, ours has been very busy lately.