Sunday, August 3, 2008

An Amazing Water Transformation

Halen and Harris have always had a fear of water. It was only just a year ago that I was able to pour water over Halen’s head in the bathtub without her screaming bloody murder. They have taken swimming lessons for years at local public facilities, but haven’t seen much growth in overcoming their fear of water. It’s been a huge frustration of mine because I would find myself wasting my money as I took them to local large water parks only to watch them not even dare go down the baby slides, go any deeper than knee deep water, or much less let water splash on them by other participants actually enjoying the water. Well, this year we encountered a huge transformation! A friend of mine in my neighborhood put on her own swimming lessons and she did a phenomenal job. Harrris and Halen went from the previously explained condition to jumping into a pool unassisted and therefore covering their entire bodies with water and having to swim to the side of the pool in only 8 lessons. Just this last weekend we went to the Roy Aquatic Center with my brothers and sisters and it was such a drastic change from our past. They were so safe, happy, and wet!!! I loved it. I took a bunch of pictures because I was just so in shock and so happy! I couldn’t believe my children were acting like normal children.

Halen couldn’t stop asking me to watch her swim with her face in the water and then turn over and float on her back. Harris couldn’t stop asking me to watch him go underwater and open his eyes underwater. It was so much fun! We stayed there for 6 hours and would have only lasted, after me coaxing them into staying, about 2 hours in years past. What a change!!!



Halen went down a small water slide for the first time ever!

Here Harris is lying face up while the water pours down on top of his face. Huh? Crazy!!! What a difference! Thanks Angie, our wonderful swim teacher and friend!


No comments: