Sunday, August 3, 2008

Say Goodbye to Sweet Centerville

Over the last year, I've been able to help my dad go through the boxes in his house as he prepares to sell our family home. We moved into the home in 1991 and had tons of wonderful experiences including energetic fights, teenage parties, family home evenings, door step scenes, porch sitting evenings, volleyball games, movie nights, schmoozing, quick breakfasts as we rush out the door to the bus stop, and just plain living.
Dad was able to finally sell the home and therefore closed on the deal this last Wednesday. As we were packing up the final odds and ends, it was not only difficult to say goodbye to the house itself, but it was also difficult to say goodbye to one more piece of my Mother. Not only was the house decorated by my Mom, but the house was made a home by my Mom. It resembled her in almost every way. It was also was to say goodbye because she passed from us in this very home. I never thought I would see a house where someone had passed as so special because the movies make it out to be as something spooky and scary, but in this instance, it wasn't. It a very special house to me. It was sad to me to think that while in her bedroom that I was standing in the place where she had last been on earth alive and I would never stand there again. Once again, losing one more piece of her. It's interesting because it's almost as if my Mom didn't just die on October 27, 2006, but dies over and over again as I encounter these types of experiences. I know depressing, but true.
Anyhow, it was a wonderful place to grow up and very difficult to say goodbye, but so we must. Here we are as we are finishing helping for the very last day at that house with Dad and Megan.


Megan with her styling new haircut, Dave, Me looking my best after long days of moving and cleaning, Brigden, Harris, Grandpa Chris, and Halen.

4 comments:

Andrea W. said...

I'm kind of sad to see that house go too, I can't imagine how hard it is for you and your siblings, and your Dad. I'm sorry. So glad you took that picture.

Megan said...

It's either the hair, or the sitting position, but I look strangely awkward in this picture. I think it's the position. Yeah, I got jipped position wise.

Mary said...

I am always so sorry when I read about your mom. I have survivor-mom-guilt because I still have my mom. I wish I could share with you, but I am guessing it just wouldn't be the same. :) I love reading your updates!

Bri B said...

I know the feeling, kind of, but just know that it does get a little easier. Can you believe that it has been 10 yrs since my mom died. I bet she is so happy to have someone to hang out and laugh with. But anyways, firsts always bring back that longing feeling for my mom, I do know that she is with me every step of the way. Because if she wasn't I think I would definetely lose it.