Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Soccerific Father's Day!

This year I was able to give my father a father's day present that was different than most of my previous presents. I included a letter to explain the gift, which I've included below:
June 13, 2008

Dear Dad,

I’ve been amazed at the growth in our relationship over the past 15 years, maybe that’s because that is when I finally grew up and became more adult-like, who knows? Anyhow, I just wanted to tell you how much I love, admire, appreciate, and need you! You have intensely helped me in so many ways these last few years through so many different trials as well allowed me to be there for you when necessary. I thank you for both of these things. You’ve been my rock in my stormy life, besides Dave, of course.

I’m so grateful my children have such a wonderful grandfather that loves them and even demonstrates it. I’m so grateful my husband has such a loving father figure in you that he feels so comfortable to come to when in need of help, advice, or just plain friendship. You are a great example to him. He loves you dearly!

As I was preparing this gift, I was able to reminisce on my youth and enjoyed it very much. I want to thank you for all the sacrifice you made for us, your very large family, in every aspect, food, shelter, necessities, as well as sacrificing your time and energy for us in our extra curricular endeavors. My heart swells when I think of my past activities because I always knew my parents were there for me on the sidelines! That meant a lot! Thank you!

So that you will fully understand this gift, this is something Mom actually had started for you. She told me about it once and was extremely excited to give it to you. In helping you clean out the storage room, one day I came home with various boxes of old items that you no longer needed. Upon going through these boxes, I found this “project” of hers amongst scrap material and knew instantly what needed to be done. Therefore, this is not only from me, but actually from Mom, since she had already started the project and, interestingly enough, left behind notes on how she wanted the project finished. I finished the project exactly as she had designed therefore you can know that this is the gift she wanted you to have, but just wasn’t able to give to you herself.

Enjoy!!!
This is a picture of the quilt my mother designed for my father of one or more soccer jerseys from each of their children and most were coached by him. What a family heirloom! We love soccer as a family and this quilt shows it! Now the only question is which jersey(s) belongs to which child?


2 comments:

Andrea W. said...

Yay, you posted!!! In true Mandolin fashion, when you do something you do it all the way, baby! I love the soccer quilt, I bet that meant so much to your Dad. I'm so proud of you for knowing right what to do, you amaze me. How neat that your mom left instructions. Wow.

Michelle said...

That is about the coolest quilt I have ever seen...what a great idea!