Sunday, August 3, 2008

The End of the Tree Cutting Era!

As I’ve previously mentioned, Dave and I spent almost every Saturday, and many other weekdays, this summer cutting down trees. We counted the stumps when we were finished and found we cut down a minimum of 35 trees with an average 2-3 foot stump diameter and a height of about 50-60 feet each. After each tree was cut down with the help of a long cord, an enduring chain saw, and a 4-whe

eler, Dave would then cut the tree into firewood as I would collect and transfer the cut off branches and fire wood to the backyard separated piles. We were able to cut down approximately 2-3 trees each day of 8 hours or so of work.


Within the next few weeks we’ll be renting a chipper to chip all the branches and then we’ll be able to have Dave’s brother come over and pull all the stumps out with his excavator. We can’t wait because putting in a sprinkling system seems like child’s play compared to this other stuff! I can’t wait to only have to put in a sprinkling system and plant seed. Let’s just hope it happens before the winter. If not, what’s another winter with no grass, eh? I’ll tell you, annoying and frustrating but very patience building, cuz sometimes that’s all I need to learn is another patience building trial! (Sarcastically said!)


Here is Dave cutting off the branches of a fallen tree.


Here is our backyard of many tree stumps. The builders of the home decided to plant approximately 35 poplars along the east side of our .45 acre lot. We figure they were trying to create a wind barrier since the wind blows from the east to the west, but are sure they weren't sure what they were doing because the large poplars didn't stop any wind and not only did they perfectly shade our neighbors entire front and back yard from 2:00 pm on each day, but they provided us with mountains of leaves to collect in the fall. It only took one fall of cleaning up leaves for us to confirm our decision in getting rid of all of these purposeless trash trees.


Here is Dave forcing a smile as I force myself to document these tragic tree removal memories!


This picture was taken when we only had 6 trees left. We were so excited to be close to being done. It took us about 3 Saturdays to finish cutting down those 6 trees.




Here is Dave starting his angle cut which allowed us to determine which direction the tree would fall.



Wow! What a change. I can actually stand on my front porch and see my neighbors to the east of me. I love it. I can watch my kids ride their bikes and know where they are without having to hope they'll return after they pass into the forest's view of my past tree border.




1 comment:

Andrea W. said...

Wow, can I have 1/100th of you and Dave's energy?