Sunday, August 30, 2009

We met our goal and more!

This is the story of my first 1/2 marathon which I am so grateful for in my book of life. I am also very grateful for my sweet husband who supports me and allows me to steal his mornings so I can prepare for such an event by running each day, my sweet children who give me great smiles as they ask me, "Mom did you win the race again?", and my sister Megan who sacrificed her weekend so I could leave the little rugrats and spend the day racing in Logan. Here are the little ones and I after returning home that day with the sign Kevin made me for the race.

Brigden (3), Harris (5), Mandolin, Bevan (almost 7 months,) and Halen (almost 7)


And this is the story:
My sweet adorable cousin, Tiffanie, and I have taken up running together this last summer and we both just love it, almost as much as we love being together bright and early in the mornings. After we finished running on the same Ragnar Team for the Wasatch Back in June, we realized we needed a goal to keep us going and decided the Top of Utah 1/2 Marathon was it! It was scheduled for Aug 29th in Logan and we shaped our runs around this goal. Three weeks before the 1/2 marathon we ran a 10K together to give us good practice and measurement as to where we really were in our running abilities. We were both very excited to find that although we weren't major competitors, we didn't finish last and met our timing goal. After finishing the 10K we upped our runs a major notch and ran a total of 34 miles the next week as well as the week after that which included a 10 mile run and a 12 mile run. Well, that was it. We were ready. We knew we wouldn't compete, or come close to being amazing runners, but our only goal was to finish without walking.

Well, to say, the least....We did it and loved every minute of it! Here we are at the finish line just after we finished.


This next picture shows the pure exhaustion on my face that Tiff and I felt at the end of the race. It wasn't because of the length of the race, but because of our last 1 mile choices. As Tiff and I had only made a goal to finish the race without walking, we had never discussed "pushing it" at any time. When the last mile came upon us we came upon a lot of participants walking. It was really hard to see so many walking because all you really wanted to do was to walk yourself at that point, but it was then that I reminded Tiff and I of our goal: No walking! Soon after our rededication to our goal we turned the last corner and could see the finish line afar. It was a little misleading because it seemed closer than it was by the blur of people, but what Tiff and I both didn't realize was that the crowds of people were lined up before the finish line, not after, hence our confusion in assuming the finish was closer than actuality. At our excitement to end the race, Tiff turns to me and asks, "Do you want to push it?" My heart raced because I really wanted to and was so excited at the opportunity to start becoming the real athlete I want to be and remember being years ago. I told her as soon as we passed a landmark a few feet ahead so I could mentally prepare myself. The landmark came and we were off and I mean "Off!" We started sprinting. How? After running 12 miles did we start sprinting? Most likely, adrenaline and pure persistence, but wow, did we ever sprint! It seemed like the first few sprints were faster then each one thereafter, but we kept at it. We were passing people like crazy and it felt so great considering how many people had passed us along the way. My heart was racing and I could barely breath, but we just kept pushing! It felt great and horrible all at the same time! I knew we could't stop and give in until we crossed the finish line and since I was struggling I started cheering Tiff on, "Go Tiff!" I knew if she stopped I'd stop and watching her by my side sprint with all she had was keeping me going. I just kept cheering for her, "You can do it! Tiff!" I'm sure she was surprised at my nonstop cheering, but it was all I could do to keep my mind off the ridiculous pain and fatigue I was feeling. I swear that last mile was just as long mentally as the other 12 put together. Well, this is the look on my face immediately after we crossed the finish. Exhaustion! and "Are you kidding me?"


One of the best parts of our run was as we were in our dead sprints approaching the finish line we both were shocked to death, almost literally, by my sweet brother Kevin. He had come to cheer us on at the finish line and not only cheer us on, but give all other spectators a show as well. Here is the look on my face as I realize that the freakishly loud voice cheering is actually in support of Tiff and I, as well as that the person in that ridiculous outfit is my brother. Don't worry, the outfit is coming up next.



Kevin had attended an 80's party the night before and had taken the "dress up" requirements for the 80's party quite literally! He figured his outfit was perfect for the crazy fun of supporting his sister and cousin in their first 1/2 marathon, but quite a few spectators didn't quite agree. He got quite a few interesting looks as well as laughs and giggles at the amazing outfit. What was ironic to me was not the outfit, but how good his legs looked in it. This picture just does not do his legs justice. I was left jealous and wishing my legs looked so good! We told him that he truly belonged at a Ragnar Relay in this kind of an outfit, not a prim and proper small town 1/2 marathon gathering.



This entire event was such a wonderful occassion in my life. I have loved being a mother and a wife and watching my life change in support of these new roles of mine, but I have also in the mean time lost who I really am. It is a daily struggle to do all I should do as well as remember who I am while doing these things. Running has become a passion for me because it has given me back me! I love taking care of my body and enjoying the energy and physical results during the day because of my hard work and sacrifice. I don't think I've enjoyed any of my babies as much as I have Bevan and not because of her, but because of me. I am so happy with who I am and have so much energy because of my activity level that it has made all the difference in the world. I have loved being able to have a goal and accomplish it. I love this new part of me or at least this rediscovered part of me. I am a person and I am loving being so again!

I especially love spending time with Tiffanie. I love sharing and listening with her during our runs. It's such a pleasure to chat and bond as we run and to have each other to keep our minds off our gruelling runs. Running has become a great blessing in my life at a time when I really need an out from the heavy stresses. It gives me a daily escape from the weight of stress on my emotions and moods. I'm sure the extra endorphins from the physical activity are a major help as well! Anyhow, yay! for us, we did it and more!

No comments: