Monday, August 17, 2009

Saturday is a Special Day!

Saturday is a special day.
It's the day we get ready for Sunday;
We clean the house, and we shop at the store,
So we won't have to work until Monday.
We clean our clothes, and we shine our shoes.
And we call it our get-the-work done day.
Then we trim our nails, and we shampoo our hair,
So we can be ready for Sunday!

Seriously, I sung this song countless times as a child in primary, but took a break for many years from it's teachings. This is not to say, however, that Saturday was not a work day because it has always been just that, but it's been so much of a work day that I've forgotten to make it a "work to be prepared for Sunday" day. Well, after much fun last week, I found myself supporting Dave in his desirous chore list and not knowing what to do with myself. It was then that the lyrics to this primary song came into my head. In the past I've used Monday as a day to clean the house and prepare for the week, as well as pick up from the weekend. As I went through the words of the song I realized that maybe my Monday activities should happen on Saturday so I can truly relax in a clean organized home on Sunday and not feel the itch to get stuff done while trying to truly relax and enjoy the Sabbath.
Well, I went for it. I cleaned all day Saturday, bathed the kids, and had the house clean and ready for Sunday. It made a huge difference in my attitude Sunday morning. Instead of instantly feeling stressed and overwhelmed as I walked into a messy or unkept kitchen, I felt relaxed and relieved that everything was already in it's place and no work to be done. We had a great family home evening, not rushed as happens too often, and plenty of time to get ready for church as well as just enjoy being together for the day. I even sat down to watch a little golf with Dave, which never happens, but because I felt relaxed enough with myself, I could relax with him how he relaxes. Another huge benefit was that my house was ready to accept company without me last minute stressing on prepping the house for their arrival.
It was a wonderful Sunday and I owe it all to primary. "Saturday is a Special Day!" and I've learned that it is just as important as Sunday because without it, Sunday could not be as Special for me!

No comments: