Monday, August 10, 2009

10K, 34, and Counting

Ever since I began really running in training for the Ragnar Relay, I've caught the bug, as runners would say. I love running and I love even more having something to train for. So my cousin Tiffanie and I decided we needed to sign up for some races to keep us going. One of these races was a 10K for South Weber City Days. The Richard Bouchard Memorial Race. The race took place this last Saturday.
Tiffanie and I had been training or at least trying to run in preparation for this race for weeks. Our goal was basically to finish, not necessarily to win or place. Well, we did just that. We didn't have to stop and walk once and we pushed ourselves pretty well the first 2 miles and then enjoyed the last 4 and some. It was my first actual individual race and I was very proud of myself for completing it. I'd always figured a 5K was as much as I would be able to do, but surprised myself by being able to do a 10K. I can't express how excited I am to have this one under my running belt and am so looking forward to the 1/2 marathon Tiff and I have signed up for in Logan (Top of Utah) in a few weeks.
The other benefit to a good running week last week was the number of miles I was able to total for the week. Last year, when I started to gain a running passion within myself, I set a goal to run as many miles as my age in one week. At the time it was 33 and I accomplished just that. It overwhelmed me because I wasn't in as good of running shape back then, but I did it nonetheless. This year I had in the back of my mind the idea of running 34 in one week, but just kept putting it off because I wasn't sure if I really wanted to make that a personal tradition or not (recognizing, of course, the idea that each birthday adds a year and therefore another mile).
Well, in preparation for the 10K, I actually accomplished this age-mile goal. I am now 34 and last week I ran 34 miles. I'm so excited that I was able to do it and just love the idea of keeping up with it again next year. I love this new hobby of mine. It makes me feel so good inside and I love having something to work towards, besides one of the greatest perks is getting to spend time with my friends and family, especially my aunt Kristen, her daughters Tiff and Tasha, Kristen's fun friends, and any other sucker I can get to run with me at the wee hours of the morning.

No comments: