Friday, August 14, 2009

A Few Favorite Things!

Dave and I are always looking for better ways to simplify and streamline our life. It's just our personalities. This is why I've recently come upon another one of my favorite things, but first, you must know that one thing I hate to do most is fold socks! I mean hate! I don't really enjoy doing laundry, but I HATE finding, matching, folding, and putting away socks! I love summer just because there are fewer socks to fold.
Well, one day a light went off in my head. I know this is not a new idea, but it was for sure new to me. I realized that those laundry mesh bags can not only be used for delicate items, but also items that you don't want to separate, like.....SOCKS! So, I tried it. At first I was sure it wouldn't work because the socks wouldn't get clean enough, thinking of my sons dirty socks, as they were washed in the laundry mesh bags, but I was wrong. They did! The other great thing was the mesh bags I bought are large enough that you can fit quite a few pair of socks in them at a time. So here is where my crazy neurotic organizational side comes in. I labeled each bag with the child's name and instructed them to put their dirty socks in these bags from now on. Then when the laundry is collected, so is the bag and the socks never separate. I swear it's like a dream come true. I know some people enjoy a good book, but seriously a good organizational tactic can take me so much farther and in such a shorter amount of time than any book can.
Here are Brigden's and Harris' sock bags hanging on the edge of their hamper.

Here is Halen's sock bag labeled with her name.

I've also decided to do the same with my socks and delicate items and just love that I can now find my little running socks easily in the clean laundry basket. I'm sure you'll notice that there isn't a bag for Dave and honestly there never will be. Some things you can't change, no matter how glorious of an idea it is. I can barely get Dave to unroll his socks after he wears them, let alone require him to put them in a mesh laundry bag. This is just reality! The difference is it's a lot easier to match and fold the socks of one person than it is the socks of 6 people.

Another thing that has made my life lately is outfits. I've started putting the kids clothing into outfits after doing the laundry and then they just have to go pick an outfit each day. Amazingly, not only has it taken less time in the mornings to get ready because they already have matched outfits to choose from, but it has significantly cut down on the wash I have to do each week. I love this new outfit thing.

And the last favorite thing of mine is something that Dave and I have been looking forward to buying for months. Silly, but true....a tuna fish can drainer. Dave just about cries each time he has to drain a tuna fish can and is unable to do so completely, meaning leaving the tuna as waterless as possible. Well, I had heard of a tuna fish can drainer months ago and have searched stores over and over for one, but to no avail. Just last week I was in the store and the angels sang as I noticed......"No way... A Tuna Fish Can Drainer!" I did it. I found one. I couldn't wait to come home and tell Dave. When I showed it to him, I think I was more excited than he was, but I also had to remind myself that he is a man of very little expression and therefore his little expression was equally comparable to my great expression. Anyhow, we are now the proud owners of a Tuna Fish Can Drainer. It really does make a difference in your can draining.




No comments: