Friday, March 14, 2008

Harris & his DRAQ

This last week Dave and I have been working tirelessly on preparing his company, American Log Homes, for an outdoor show this weekend. We've been designing and printing cd labels, business cards, brochures, designing and burning cd's, etc. As a result, I feel the kids have felt a little neglected, especially Harris, who normally thrives on personal attention from his mother.

I've learned with Harris that he is a better child when he is constantly receiving hugs and touch from his mother than when he is not. Well, as mentioned, we weren't meeting Harris' DRAQ: daily required attention quota, and it showed yesterday morning as he awoke to walk into an empty kitchen. Normally I am in the kitchen getting their breakfasts ready and this particular day I wasn't because I was downstairs printing out business cards for Dave. As I was printing, I heard little steps walk from his bedroom, through the kitchen, and then down the stairs. I wasn't facing the stairs to see him suddenly stop on the second stair from the bottom, but he announced his presence by his emotional, awnery, and declaring proclamation, "Mom, me don't want you downstairs!"

It was definitely one of those parenting moments when you know you should validate their feelings and the frustration they are feeling, but you can't stop the laughter from coming out. Harris has never been shy about his declarations, but he is however still learning that he doesn't rule the universe, his mother does! We love him regardless and because since we can see different parts of our own personalities in his.

3 comments:

Andrea W. said...

That's so cute that Harris loves his mamma so much and you're smart to recognize how much he needs his DRAQ. So funny you pushed him too far and he wasn't going to take it anymore! What a darling photo!

Brynn said...

You are a hoot! DRAQ? Ummm do you think he got his DRAQ need of Mama from his father? Like father like son. Mmmn? Well wherever he got it, Harris is definitely going to get what he wants out of life, just ask him, he'll tell you! :0)

Eliza said...

that is so funny and cute. he does sound like his papa. :) LOL on you ruling the universe. so funny. btw, I laughed so hard at your comment on my blog b/c I could just hear your voice saying it. I loved it.