Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Cookie Cutters & Food Coloring!

Does anyone else out there ever feel like a loser parent because you lack day to day creativity and fun for your children? Well, I do! I struggle making each day creative and fun because let's be honest, in between the laundry, dusting, food preparation and cleanup, homework, and basic family and home maintenance, I feel good if the kids brushed their teeth twice in a day! Well, given my daily unsuccessful aspirations to make life fun and interesting, I was extremely excited to have finally acted upon a very simple idea, which I'm sure isn't new to any of you, but had just dawned on me this particularly blah day!
My kids hate sandwiches. I only make them once a week, but each time I do, they complain. I feel like they should learn to enjoy a variety of foods and a pb&j sandwich is just a necessity of life, plain and simple. So to make things entertaining, I pulled out the spring cookie cutters from the large bucket of 100 cookie cutters purchased at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for only $10. It contains a cookie cutter for every season or holiday or sport you can imagine. Then I cut out their sandwich with the cutter of their choice. They were delighted and overjoyed! I also bargained with them that they could only have their shape if they also ate the crust that was cut off by the cutter. They agreed and ate all of their shape and crust. I couldn't believe it. It was so much fun and so little work! It was also personally fulfilling for me because I had fulfilled that "Fun Mom" quota for the day.
Since St. Patricks Day Halen has been begging for Green Eggs & Ham for breakfast and today we finally fulfilled her request. I couldn't believe how overjoyed they were to eat Green Eggs, and also how simple it was for me to make them. I think that cookie cutters and food coloring are now my best friends! They all cleared their entire plates.
In the spirit of fun activities and ideas, I found this article in Parents Magazine that I felt was a keeper. Everyone always needs good ideas. I am also excited to use the list Andrea, Macy, and Eliza offered at our Womens Conference. One day at a time, right? Fun Mom, here I come!
http://www.parents.com/parents/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/parents/story/data/1205253638265.xml

2 comments:

Andrea W. said...

I think it's hard to find that balance of just getting things done and being a "fun" mom. Sounds like you have it figured out! Way to go! It really is always the simple little things that make such a difference. I think part of the reason we put off doing things is we get overwhemled thinking we have to do some huge product every day, so way to go for keeping it simple and fun!

John-n-Mel said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with both creative Ideas. Like you I STRUGGLE with Creativity and think that markers and colored paper were all you needed and maybe stickers. :) I'm really proud of you and think you might have something with using just the little things. PS-my kids hate PB&J too, I thought that was a kid staple...