Monday, March 31, 2008

33! 33! 33! 33! 33!

33. 33. 33. 33. 33... Do you think if I say the number to myself out loud many times then I might believe it as well? I have never been a huge fan of running, unless I'm running as a means of chasing something like a soccer ball or someone like my children! I've always enjoyed other means of exercising, such as step aerobics, kickboxing, body pump, and just plain weightlifting, but over the last few childbearing years of my life, I've found that an hour a day of those things is just not enough. Therefore, I've had to not only watch calories very closely, continue participating in the previously mentioned classes, but add onto them as well in order to return to my desired physical state. Anyway, to make a long story short after helping my mother 'endure to the end,' giving birth to our 3rd child, saying a temporary goodbye to my husband as he served in the bishopbric, buying and completely renovating our new home, moving, and settling down, I finally found the time necessary to take care of myself the way my needy body requires in adding additional workouts. In order to do this, I dreadingly had to add running to the list above, but surprisingly I did, however, find myself somewhat enjoying these terribly mentally long 3 mile runs. I enjoyed being outside, alone, and listening to my music instead of Barney, Backyardigans, or Dora.
A week or so ago as I was reading my cousin Melanie's blog, I read how she had ran 6-7 miles and I wondered if I could do that. As I mentioned, I've never ran, without chasing anything, more than 4 miles in my life. So, Monday morning I put in a good chic flic, Music & Lyrics, and went for it. The first mile was the hardest, as always, because it takes me that long to feel like I'm not going to die and get into the groove of the run. As I enjoyed the flic, I would check my progress. Dave, who works at home, was able to enjoy my pleasure as I yelled at each mile and half mile marker after 4 miles until, yup, 7 miles! I couldn't believe it. I was shocked. I won't say it was easy because it wasn't , but it was very much a trial of endurance and mental toughness! I was so excited that I had accomplished 7 miles that I decided to do it again Tuesday. My knee was slightly swollen on Wednesday so I only ran 3 miles, but ran 7 miles again on Thursday, 3 on Friday, and 6 on Saturday. I was in shock when I added the miles up. Through this I also realized I'm a person too and I can still have goals for myself besides making dinner and changing diapers. I won't say that I've committed to this lifestyle of running forever and ever, but I was so proud of myself for having done so this last week. Way to go me!

5 comments:

Megan said...

Mandolin, that is 100% awesome.
Can I have your self discipline?

Andrea W. said...

Whoa, that is super great, I'm so proud of you, but not at all surprised. You are awesome!

Kim said...

Mandy...that is so awesome! Be careful, it can get addicting. Pretty soon you'll be signing up for all kinds of road races! We better all watch out next Easter @ the races!

Brynn said...

Now you have no excuse not to run a marathon with me! I am so PROUD of you. I always knew there was a runner in there!!!! Yay, you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, that's my sister.

John-n-Mel said...

I AM SOOO PROUD OF YOU! 7 miles? ON a treadmill? To me that is worth 10 because I struggle running on a treadmill, so good girl! Thanks for making me feel like a million bucks for inspiring someone. Funny enough I got my inspiration from our cousin Kim, who ran St. George last year in fantastic time. Keep up the good work.
33, that's how old your turning right? Is your birthday in May?