Thursday, September 18, 2008

It's a GIRL!!!


So, the secret is finally out. I held off from telling my kids of our "expecting" status so I wouldn't have to discuss it every five minutes during each day. As a result of this when I took Halen to my OB appointment, she didn't even know I was pregnant. Therefore, when we got into the room to wait for my doctor, I told her why we were there and that we were going to get to find out what our baby was at the same time.
Being Halen, she didn't give even a third of the reaction I was hoping for and assumed she'd give since she'd been asking me for at least 3 years for a baby sister. She merely smiled and shrug her shoulders as if she were embarrassed at the news. Even though her reaction was quite a dissapointment, I was able to deal with it better than I would have 7 years ago since I've now gotten used to the minimal reaction type due to my husband's low key personality. For instance, when I got home, he said, "So?" and I said, "It's a girl." and he said, "Huh. Good." Without even breaking a smile. It's just one of those things that my "cheerleader" personality has had to learn to deal with as I find myself easily giving away overly excited reactions like screaming and jumping over my neighbors new curtains. Seriously? We are all very different, aren't we?
Anyhow, it wasn't until I returned Halen to school that she semi-excitedly told her teacher her absence was due to her visit to see her baby sister at the doctors as she sheepishly cracked a smile.
Anyhow, we are very excited we are getting a girl. We're 18 weeks along and she is due on February 20. Maybe we'll have a Valentine's baby, who knows?

11 comments:

Megan said...

HAhahaha, I have no idea how you are even capable of talking to me... Although I'll probably never show it, I'm incredibly excited for your new daughter.

Brennan said...

That was a great post, Mandolin. I totally relate to unrewarding responses from those I love and it's just sooooo foreign for me. Let me just say, YAY!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO HAVE A DARLING LITTLE GIRL AGAIN!!! CONGRATULATIONS!

And LOL, Megan.

Eliza said...

WOo HOO! I'm so excited for you, how perfectly even! I totally relate, I have classified people as ravers and non ravers, or basically bells and non bells. ; ) congrats!

Andrea W. said...

Oops, as you probably guessed that Brennan one was actually Andrea. Not used to him logging in.

Aimee said...

Hi Mandolin, it's Aimee Kartchner. I was on Mary's blog and I saw "Its a girl" out of the corner of my eye. Then I saw your name and of course I had to click on it!Congratulations! that is so exciting. I had my 4th baby on Feb 21. It's a good time of year, except that he got RSV without even going in public. I'll scream and cheer for you! "Yea Mandolin!" Your so lucky to get another girl! Your kids are darling. I can't believe how big they are!

Kim said...

Congrats!! I've been secretly waiting to hear. Girls are so fun...I'm sure boys are too, but I can't relate to that one. I'll jump up and down with you anytime--just give me a call when you need a little more of a reaction! Love ya!

Mary said...

Congratulations! I love babies more than anything! I am a tiny bit jealous that you are getting a girl, then I look at my tiny boy and think, "OH, WELL!:)"

Michelle said...

Congrats! That makes two and two...just like me! I love having two of each. I'm totally with you on reactions. How on earth did you hide it from your children that long? And, I thought you didn't like to find out what you were having! Anyway, girls are fun. I'm excited for you (and Halen).

John-n-Mel said...

How perfect is that? CONGRATULATIONS! So funny about Halen, although as she hits her teenage years the lack of drama will pry be appreciated. I'm very excited for you and would be jumping up and down with you when you heard the news!

Melinda said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Now for the name game. I know your just not going to tell anyone until the baby is here... However, you can tell me. Really, I won't tell anyone.

KRISTIN BELL said...

Oh my gosh I KNEW IT!!!! You don't look pregnant at all! I am sooo excited for you guys.... I was just thinking it was probably time for you to have another freakin cute kid! Congrats. If you ever need an enthusiastic reaction call me!! I am so good at that....genuinely! I am so excited for you!