Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My 33rd Birthday!

Well, one more down, many more to go! As many of you know my mother was the queen of birthdays, or as she really called them, birthweeks. I learned a lot from her when it came to celebrating your special day and making the most of it for yourself. This meant not waiting for others to celebrate it for you, but taking things into your own hands. For example, Mom would change her answering machine message on her actual birthday and sing to herself for each person that called the day of. She would also then tell them that if they wanted her to pick up the phone, they'd have to sing happy birthday to her in the message before she'd even consider it. What a woman! It is for this reason that I started my own tradition of my birthday agenda. Each year I put together an agenda of what it is I want to happen on my birthday so Dave doesn't have to wonder or come up with any ideas of his own. His only requirement is to help me fulfill whatever is on the agenda. Surprisingly, even though this process sounds very rigid and forceful, he loves it because he doesn't have to do any thinking or fail at whatever ideas of his own he might have. In the last few years it has worked wonderfully and I've had some great birthdays. It always amazes me that so many people shy away from such a great opportunity to make one day out of the year their very own. To do whatever they want, what more could you ask for!

My celebrations began on Mother's Day, the day before my birthday. I am the YW Secretary in my ward and part of my calling is to bring each girl up in front of the group on the Sunday following her birthday so we can sing to her. Well, this Sunday, they turned to me to see if I had anyone to sing to or any announcements and I said, no, because there weren't any birthdays in this last week, but then it hit me, "Hey, wait, it's my birthday tomorrow, they can sing to me." So I stood up and said, "Wait! It's my birthday tomorrow, let's sing to me!" They all smiled and laughed, because they know how crazy I can be. I was so excited to have them sing to me because they are all so adorable and fun! I think they thought I was kidding or were just in shock so I started leading them as I sang to myself and they jumped right in! They were smiling the entire song and I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present because of all their smiling beautiful faces! What a joy! They, of course, think I'm crazy, but as I've said, "You can't wait for others to celebrate you, you must celebrate you first!" Then after we sang to me, someone asked, "What about the mothers?" So, of course, I made all the mothers come up front and we sang "Happy Mother's Day" to all of us mothers. It was awesome. The girls were such good sports, as well as the mothers, as we all sang "Happy Mother's Day to Us!"

Then my actual birthday started of with my children letting me sleep in as they were quietly and secretly drawing pictures for me for my birthday. Halen was so happy to show me her many versions of SpongeBob she had drawn for me. It was so great to wake up to her drawings because it was as if my mother had given me her own little present in helping Halen draw fabulous SpongeBob Squarepants. She had never drawn him before and I was honestly shocked at how true to form her drawings were. (My mom would rarely miss an opportunity to sit down and watch SpongeBob Squarepants with my little brother and sister, Kevin & Megan. She would even frequently walk through the house singing/yelling the theme song to "Sponge Bob Squarepants!")

This is the Mommy SpongeBob Squarepants!

This is the Daddy SpongeBob Squarepants.


And this is the SpongeBob Squarepants Family!


Then later I went to visit my Grandpa and Grandma Harris, as we celebrated Grandma's Mother's Day, Grandpa's upcoming Birthday, and my birthday together. Then I was able to enjoy my favorite 'fast food' from Cafe Rio. After this, I put the kids down for quiet time and headed out again for a movie by myself, "Emma." Dave was at home so he took care of the kids for me. I really enjoyed it and really respect Emma for all she went through in supporting her husband and The Church! What a woman! Then I returned home to receive a visit from our wonderful home teachers, and then just as I was about to try and figure out what to make for dinner, Dave told me my brother Brandon & wife Andrea had arranged for our dinner to be made and paid for at our favorite pizza dive! What a swell brother! Great idea Brandon & Andrea. Thanks guys! I also received many happy birthday calls, cards, and even a beautiful flower pot for the very scared beginning gardener in me from my s-i-l Diane.

Then after that my cousin Andrea Wright and I had arranged a get together with all my Bell cousins at her place. We arrived a little late and stayed late too. It was so much fun! I just love my cousins! I am so blessed and was so happy to spend my special birthday time with them! They are awesome! We had a great time! Thanks Ang for hosting!

Anyhow, all in all, my birthday was great!I must say, however, that I am glad it is only one day and not a week (Sorry Mom!) because it is exhausting work to take care of myself and keep the focus on me for an entire day! I was ready for a very normal day the next day! What a great day, but I'm done until next year! Happy Birthday to Me!

3 comments:

Andrea W. said...

I LOVE Halen's art work! Don't you love girls and their willingness to sit for hours and color and draw? I hope you had a happy happy birthday!!!!!!

Mary said...

I am so all about my birthday! My sister Brenda tells me that I am a freak. It is good to know that I am in good company. As my birthday falls right after the 24th of July, and our family has a reunion at that same time, I bring myself a cake and pretend that the party is for me. I think that I am going to take a page out of your mom's book and have a multi-day celebration this year!!! Oh, and Happy Birthday!!!

John-n-Mel said...

Happy Late Birthday Mandolin! What a fabulous day and what a great idea with the agenda. I know that is something my husband would actually appreciate. The sleeping in alone would make my day! :) You're such a sweetheart and an amazing person, I'm sure the YW program LOVES having you in there. Secretary would be the best job! Loved the artwork and loved that your brother bought you dinner! YEAH! Talked to Grandma who raved about your visit. You made her day!