Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mom & Dr. Mario

Yes, video games may fry your brain, but nobody ever said your brain wouldn't be happy while being fried! One of my most favorite things to do with my mother as a child, teenager, young adult, and even young mother was playing Dr. Mario on Nintendo. My mother loved loved loved this game and was amazingly good at it. Well, actually it wasn't so amazing when you considered the hours she invested in the game against her children and spouse. It was always an accomplishment for us to beat her at the game.

Over the years Dave and I haven't invested much in gaming systems until recently when we were able to get a Wii off of an entire gift card from RC Willey because of a previous purchase years ago. I wasn't very excited until I realized I might be able to somehow find an updated version of Dr. Mario for the wii. Just last month the game became available online and I nabbed it! I played it immediately just like a child and my kids grew to love the game immediately as well. It's addicting for SJ's like me and very easy to learn. As every weekend should, today included a good hour or more of frying my brain playing video games with my children.
Their goal is now to beat their own Mother, just as mine was years ago. I must say they are getting better and better and I have to work to stay ahead of them in some games.

In one of the games I was playing against Brigden and I was enjoying myself too much because before I knew it I was about to lose. I realized it too late and my only hope was to distract him. I wrongfully yelled "No" as he was making his last move to win, hoping to shock him enough to ruin his move and give me more time to win. It did shock him, but surprisingly, didn't ruin his attitude. Brigden being the cheerful champ that he is, turned to me and said, "Mom, why did you yell?" I said, "because I wanted to win." His very mature reply was, "But, Mom, it's just a game ya know."

Wow! Such wisdom, you know he had heard those very words from my own mouth before and here I was being scolded. Such is life. I just didn't think that my own parenting words would come back to haunt me so soon!

No comments: