Friday, January 22, 2010

The Real Deal!

I try so hard to be the June Cleaver that I feel I should, but the truth of the matter is, more often than not, I'm the real deal as a mother. Have you ever had an off day? Well, here are a few moments in one of my off days.

This morning when Harris was throwing a fit because he didn't want to read his books for his homework, he replied to my request to read with,

"I don't like these books. They're dumb."

I would love to say at this moment that I had a calm, patient, loving, and motivational response as June Cleaver would, but my actual "the real deal" reply was;

"Well, if you don't read them then you'll be dumb!"

Wow, as my sister shared when I told her the story, "You win the 'Mother of the Year' award."

Yeah, I know I shouldn't have said it, but hey, sometimes I'm human too! He's just lucky I didn't say it with even close to as much emotion as he did!

Then after resolving that issue, I sent him out to wait for the bus for afternoon kindergarten only to realize a few minutes later that I sent him out 30 minutes early. As he entered the house after learning of my mistake, I thought to myself I'd compensate for my mistake by offer him something fun to do while he was waiting so I said, "Do you want to play video games while you're waiting?"

He looked at me and then matter of factly said, "How about lunch instead?"

Ummm? Ok, that's a good idea. Again, "Mother of the Year." Seriously, did I forget to screw my head on when I got dressed this morning. I'm so glad my 5 year old is on top of things enough to help me do my job!

So there, this is my life and it's the real deal!

4 comments:

Megan said...

This is seriously the funniest post. I can totally imagine you saying that.

Mary said...

Ahhh, mommy guilt... Hopefully our children will grow up and think that they have the greatest parents ever. But chances are, they'll just think that WE broke them.

Dusty and Megan said...

I love this! I'm sure I'll end up saying the same types of things in the future. Sometimes I get so caught up in my own projects that I don't pay attention to the time and forget to feed Davey. He always reminds me by screaming out one of his favorite snacks. Bread, toast, cheese...PLEASE!!!

Andrea W. said...

That is HILARIOUS. I think perhaps you did Harris a favor by playing it straight with him. If these things are the criteria for mother of the year, I've definitely got you beat!