Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sugar Bugs, 21, Resurrection, Nice Roads, and Manners

These are the latest random stories and quotes from our little family.

A few months ago, as we were getting in the car Harris asked if he needed to put his seatbelt on and I replied;
“Yes, we are heading on the main road.”

To which Brigden replied; “No mom, it’s a nice road!”

A few nights ago when I was tucking Halen and Harris into bed, we had the following conversation:
Halen: "Mom, I love you."
Mom: "I love you too."
Halen: "I love you three!"
Harris: "I love you four!"
Halen: "I love you five!"
Harris: "I love you a hundred!"
Halen: "I love you a million!"
Harris: "Well,...(as if he's pulling out the big guns now)..
I love you 21!"

21...huh? That's more than a million? Well, aparantly he thinks so and after listening to his giggle after he said it, he was quite confident he had won the battle of love for his mother by trumping Halen's million with 21! Just don't tell anybody that this is the child of a math teacher because that math teacher didn't say anything about it, but to reply; "Thank you. I love you too!"

A month or so ago, before Bevan had teeth (she now has 2 cute little bottom teeth), Brigden was quite shocked and worried when he came upon her toothless mouth one day and immediately yelled, in shock and horror;


"Mom, Bevan doesn't have any teeth! The sugar bugs ate them!"
He was quite worried and I had to then explain that she hadn't had any teeth available yet for the sugar bugs to eat, but when she gets them, teeth that is, we'll be sure to brush them so the sugar bugs won't eat them.
Brigden has been technically potty trained since December of last year, 2008, but he has an occassional relapse from time to time because he just doesn't want to stop playing to go to the bathroom. Right now it's a matter of convincing him that even though his pants are closer in proximity than the bathroom, the toilet is a much better location. As a result of these relapses, lately we are working hard to praise him in having dry pants so whenver the occassion arrises, we congratulate him, trying to keep things positive. Something else to note is that Brigden is a serious "manners" child. He was born saying "Please, Thank You, and Your Welcome!" Yes, of course, we taught him when to say them, but we rarely have to remind him to do so, it is just ingrained in his system. He reminds me a lot of my brother Cardin who seems to know all the rules for proper manners. Anyway, because of his innate talent for proper manners, sometimes it's just awkward hearing a 3 year old be so polite and courteous. (Just remember, however, I did say sometimes!)
Yesterday, he walked out of the bathroom and after acknowledging his pants were dry and he had managed to take the time to stop playing and use the restroom, I congratulated him by saying;
"Brigden, way to keep your pants dry!"
To which he nonschalantly replied with a shrug of his shoulders; "Your Welcome"
Ummm? Did I say thank you? Nope, but in his perfectly mannered world I guess it's all the same!
A few months ago, the kids and I were on our way to celebrate my brother Kevin's birthday in Logan. During our travel there Brigden asked who we were visiting and I replied,
"Kevin, my brother who came back from his mission a year ago."
To which Brigden replied, "Oh, just like Jesus!"
Unsure of his comparison, I asked, "How is that Brigden?
He confidently replied, "Cuz Jesus came back to life too!"
I just can't decide if I should tell Kevin that apparently going on a mission doesn't mean you serve for 2 years, it means you die for 2 years and then come back to life when your time is up.

1 comment:

Dusty and Megan said...

I'm so glad I can post a comment on this now... One of my friends when I was younger had the same type of love war in their family. One day her dad just said that he loved her 300 and that was it. That was all the love there is, there is no more. So we started saying that. My husband now knows that if he really wants to tell me he loves me more than anything all he has to do is say "I love you 300!"