Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Like Mother, Like Daughter! Like Father, Like Son!

Before I share this story you need to know that I love being married to my husband all day long, but as soon as my bedtime hits, I absolutely hate having to sleep in a bed with him or any other person, ask my bedroom companion of many years; my sister Brynn. He loves to cuddle, touch, or even breath in my space and it drives me nuts. I am actually a huge grump when it comes to this issue because sleep is so important to me and over the years he's learned to be patient, yet persisitent. He still tries to go to sleep while touching me and I do all I can to have nothing of it for many reasons, but mostly because he is a human heater. He just radiates heat and I can't concentrate on sleeping with a heater touching my arm or leg. Anyhow, it's been a battle for many years and continues to be so. Evidently, our children have caught on...
This morning as the kids and I were chatting about their night of sleep, Halen, 6, was a bit grumpy and I asked her why. She replied after much thought (as if she wasn't sure, but she needed to search deep for a reason to excuse her behavior), "Well, last night when I was trying to go to sleep Harris kept asking me to let him sleep with me in my bed and I just kept telling him, "No" He wouldn't listen so finally I yelled, "No you can't sleep with me; I need my space!"
I had the hardest time not laughing at her comment because it was so similar to my own feelings with Dave. Hmmm? Halen is the cold hearted independent sleeper and Harris is the warm cuddly bear looking for a friend. Just like their parents. How ironic!

5 comments:

Andrea W. said...

That's so cute and funny, and look at you 2 days in a row!!!! Way to go!

Brynn said...

Holy cow, I was just considering doing a post on this EXACT subject yesterday, but worried I would come off like an ice queen! Thanks for taking one for the team!! I am in total agreeance with you. Why is it that our whole life growing up we want our own bedroom, our own bathroom and then we throw it all away for our spouse-what's up with that? ; ) Ben radiates heat too and I can't sleep if he is touching me. The ice queen
might melt. Next time we visit let's put them in bed together and see how the enjoy the sauna treatment! and I promise I won't cuddle with you while we are sleeping, there will be a definite line down the bed. I only like to cuddle during waking hours!

Mary said...

That makes me laugh! I am only that way when pregnant. Now I have a little 12 pound cuddle bear! (Yes he sleeps with me!) That poor baby is going to be spoiled rotten. But I hate putting him back to bed after I nurse. So we are snuggle bugs. Jeremy can't stand the baby noises so he jumps ship to the couch!

Michelle said...

That is funny because Rick and I are the same way. I cannot sleep if he is touching me AT ALL! I just can't. And sleep is very very very important to me too so I'm grumpy about it too. Rick has finally gotten the idea though. He know bedtime is sleep time...NOTHING ELSE!

Unknown said...

Hello mandolin! Yes I'm what you would call a blog spy. I hope you don't mind. But I was wondering if you could do me a favor? I'm wanting to make a Christmas gift for my mom and your dad combines all their children. Its nothing fancy, just a photo calendar. But I was wondering if you could send me a few photos of your family, and also all their Birthdays also you and Dave's anniversary date. I also want to have pictures of your Mother. I just need a few of your favorites. If your too busy (because I understand how busy you young mothers are) just let me know. I don't want to cause stress. But thank you. And I'll see you at Thanksgiving! My email is tiara66@gmail.com