Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Years!

Today was an awesome day for my family. Dave was able to spend his day off doing just as he's done for years on New Years Day, hunting. This year it was rabbits in Idaho. He'd been planning this day trip for a few weeks and was happy as can be to be able to go. He left early in the morning and returned in the afternoon having had a successful trip.

The kids and I enjoyed a fabulous day starting with breakfast with my siblings & dad at Corbin's home. It was wonderful to enjoy time together as Corbin happily hosted and prepared breakfast for all of us. How spoiled could we be? He even thanked us for giving him the opportunity to serve us, explaining his desire to be the best host (Monica from friends) possible. Then after chit chatting for a few hours we went to the Classic Roller Skating rink where the kids enjoyed bounce houses, pirates cove climbing, laser tag, arcade games, and roller skating while the adults enjoyed talking, talking, talking, ignoring their kids, talking, talking, ignoring their kids some more, and even more talking. We didn't leave until 5:30 pm and my children and I loved every minute of it.

While chatting, my aunt Allyson and I both came to the conclusion that in comparison to people like Dave whose hobbies include hunting or fishing or her sons whose hobbies are skiing or snowboarding, our hobbies are the same; people and our relationships with them. Dave dreams of spending his free days hunting and I dream of spending my entire day socializing with my family. Today both of our short term dreams came true. What a great day!

2 comments:

Andrea W. said...

That sounds so nice! I have the exact same hobby! It's so nice to know other people that have it too because I don't a lot of people quite get it. Although yesterday I was so happy to do NOTHING. I read a book, played some games with the kids and laid around, just what the doctor ordered :)That's so cute of Corbin to host, hopefully he'll make that a tradition.

Brynn said...

What a great day, wish I could of joined you!